Baby Beet, Orange and Toasted Almond Salad
Baby Beet Orange and Toasted Almond is rated
based on 2 votes.
Preparation Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- Three cups mixed salad greens
- One red (Spanish) onion, thinly sliced
- Two oranges, peeled and segmented
- Two bunches small or medium beets, washed and trimmed
- ¼ cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped for garnish
For mint and orange salad dressing
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- One tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place beets in a steamer basket or bamboo steamer.
- Partially pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid
- Put the steamer over water and steam for 15-20 minutes until
beets are tender.
- Test by inserting a skewer into thickest part. Immerse in cold
water until cool enough to handle, then drain.
- Peel off the skin gently and slice or halve beets depending on
- Toss with salad dressing while still warm then refrigerate for 1
hour. Drain beets reserving dressing.
- On salad greens, arrange orange segments, beets and onion
- Pour salad dressing over, and garnish with toasted nuts.
- To make salad dressing, mix all ingredients in a bowl
until well combined.
- To toast almonds, place almonds in a frying pan and cook over
medium heat for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Make sure not to