Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 16-20 minutes
- 3-4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 12 mm (½
- Four unpeeled cloves garlic
- ½-¾ cup milk, heated
- Two tablespoons butter, softened
- One-two tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- One tablespoon heavy (double) cream, optional
- In a frying pan, put the garlic and cook for 10-12 minutes over
medium-low heat until cloves are soft and skins are lightly browned.
- Move the pan occasionally to prevent garlic from burning. Allow
- Squeeze garlic out of skins and mash using a fork.
- In the bottom of steamer basket or bamboo steamer with
cheesecloth, place potatoes and cover.
- Partially pour the pot or wok with water and bring to a rapid
simmer. Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 6-8 minutes
until potatoes are tender.
- Heat milk in a microwave or in a small saucepan.
- Remove from heat and transfer milk in a heatproof bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place on level above potatoes
to heat through.
- Get the potatoes off the steamer and transfer in a bowl. Mash
with a whisk or fork.
- Add butter, garlic, chives, salt, pepper and generous amount of
hot milk and cream. Stir gradually.
- Keep warm by covering with plastic wrap and placing in a covered
steamer over simmering water until needed.