Hazelnut and Watercress Pumpkin Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 54-55 minutes
- One tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
- Four golden nugget butternut
- 1.8 kg (3
½ lb) squash
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- One small yellow (brown) onion, chopped
- One teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Four cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Four teaspoons plain yogurt
- Twelve sprigs watercress
½ cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and chopped
- Pour a large pot of wok with water and bring to rapid simmer.
- Put the whole squash in oiled steamer.
- Put the steamer over water, cover and steam for 40-45 minutes
until squash is tender.
- Remove the steamer from wok before removing the squash.
- Put the squash on a board flatter side down, just be careful
because it's extremely hot.
- Cut tops off and discard. Remove seeds and scoop out flesh to
within 6 mm (¼
inches) of skin, but be careful not to break through.
- Turn squash upside down to drain, adding any drained juice to
- Puree squash flesh.
- To keep the seeds warm, cover it with foil.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter or oil on medium heat. Cook
garlic, ginger and onion for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add pureed squash, stock, salt and pepper and simmer for 10
- Pour soup into shells and serve garnish with watercress, yogurt